"I think it's really important for members of Congress to be in their district and talk to their constituents and hear what their constituents have to say."
— Rep. Mimi Walters, Fox News March 19th 2015
The last time Mimi Walters hosted an in person public event for her constituents was October 12th, 2016. She admitted on the AM 870 "Sunday Morning Newsmakers" show on April 2, 2017 that she wouldn't hold a town hall because she might "say something that will be used against [her] in the next campaign." Here is the interview:
Walters had two 'telephone town halls,' or teleconferences, in 2017. The first was May 1, 2017, and the second on August 23, 2017. This type of event differs from an in person town hall in that questions are pre-screened and constituents are not able to follow up their questions. Walters has not made public transcripts of these teleconferences, though sound clips from her May 1, 2017 teleconference are available here, and a recording of the August 23, 2017 teleconference is available here.
According to Mimi Walters’ staff, here is a list of the “Town Hall Meetings” Walters has had while serving as Congressional Representative for CA-45. We welcome any corrections or additional information if it exists.
- August 23, 2017, “Tele-town hall”,(https://walters.house.gov/media-center/in-the-news/join-me-tele-town-hall-meeting-wednesday) For recording visit: https://california45th.squarespace.com/config/
- May 1, 2017, “Tele-town hall, https://twitter.com/RepMimiWalters/status/859110334807801857, For recording visit: https://california45th.squarespace.com/config/
- October 12, 2016, UC Irvine, "Campus Safety Workshop", https://walters.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/rep-walters-host-campus-safety-workshop-uci
- August 11, 2016, Santiago Canyon College, Natural Disaster Preparedness Town Hall, in-person panel of public safety and emergency experts, https://walters.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/rep-walters-host-natural-disaster-preparedness-town-hall
- August 9, 2016, “Tele-town hall,” https://walters.house.gov/about/events/tele-town-hall
- March 24, 2016, Norman P. Murray Community and Senior Center, Mission Viejo, Cybersecurity & Identity Protection Town Hall, in-person panel of experts, https://walters.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/rep-mimi-walters-host-cybersecurity-identity-protection-town-hall-0
- March 2, 2016,“Tele-town hall,” https://www.facebook.com/RepMimiWalters/photos/a.1531730260422509.1073741829.1522622914666577/1668860000042867/?type=3&theater
- February 17, 2016, Clifton C. Miller Community Center at Tustin City Hall, Personal Security & Emergencies Town Hall, in-person panel of “industry and law enforcement experts,” https://walters.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/rep-mimi-walters-host-personal-security-emergencies-town-hall
- February 9, 2016,“Tele-town hall,” https://www.facebook.com/RepMimiWalters/photos/a.1531730260422509.1073741829.1522622914666577/1668860000042867/?type=3&theater
- November 17, 2015, Medicare “Tele-town hall”, https://www.facebook.com/RepMimiWalters/photos/a.1531730260422509.1073741829.1522622914666577/1643385142590353/?type=3&theater
- September 2, 2015, Orange Park Acres, “Community Coffee,” https://www.facebook.com/RepMimiWalters/posts/1623384817923719
- August 24, 2015, Laguna Hills Community Center, Cybersecurity & Identity Protection Town Hall, in-person panel of “industry and government experts,” https://walters.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/rep-mimi-walters-host-cybersecurity-identity-protection-town-hall